Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
This is a wonderful beach community along the East Coast. In our opinion, it is quieter, cleaner, and more family friendly than other beaches we have visited in the Carolinas, so it just depends on what you are looking for. Our families have both been going here on family vacations since we were young. We are fortunate that now we have family living down there and can visit the island whenever we are able!
Where to stay:
- Shipyard Plantation – This has been a favorite vacation resort for my family over the years. As a gated community, it offers golf, tennis (our favorite!), pools, and a beach. There are many villas to choose from, including ones that are pet friendly, as well as some hotel and whole house options. It is also located near popular local restaurants.
- Sea Pines – This is a larger resort area with great amenities, including Harbour Town (see below).
Where to eat:
- Michael Anthony’s – Fine Dining Italian.
- Sage Room – Fine Dining with a chef’s table offering an up close view of the talented chefs working their magic in the kitchen.
- Java Burrito – A quick stop for burritos and burrito bowls, full of fresh ingredients. They also offer coffee and margaritas.
- Old Fort Pub – Great views with delicious seafood.
- Giuseppi’s – There are many great pizza options on the island, but this tends to be one of our favorites.
- Santa Fe Cafe – Southwestern Cafe with a rooftop bar and live music weekly.
What to do:
- Coligny Plaza for shopping
- Harbour Town – This is a great spot for shopping, dining, or walking around. There is even a large playground for the kids to enjoy! Oftentimes, you will find live music around the area. **there is a parking fee for those coming from outside Sea Pines
- Take a day trip to Savannah, GA! This is another coastal town about 45 minutes south where you can enjoy some delicious crab cakes, or other yummy dishes, overlooking the water. There are also a lot of historical landmarks around the town and beautiful parks.
- Take a tour! We enjoyed a fun, informative private family boat tour around the sound. It departed from Shelter Cove (another great place for restaurants and shopping) and the captain gave a history of the island while we enjoyed some drinks (can bring your own food and beverages) and watched the sunset.
Where to workout:
- Lava 24 Fitness: Here you will find many exercise machines and free weights, along with well-rounded classes taught by amazing instructors.